Thursday, August 21, 2014

Trombone Handslide Crook Guard Fabrication

Here's a quick project I did for a bass trombone overhaul.  The slide crook guard needed to be replaced. The part was not available from our suppliers so I went about fabricating one. The total project took me about 45 minutes.

This is the original guard which has been flatted out.

I used the original as a pattern for the replacement.

The next step was making molds to shape the new guard.  I had already removed all the dents from the original crook. I used it and epoxy putty to form the molds. 

 Here is the inner mold formed from the outer.
While the molds were curing, I continued with fabricating the bumper nub. I did this with the bench motor and files.

Next step was to shape the guard. I annealed the brass and pressed it in the molds. 
Some quick silver soldering and cleanup and it's ready to solder on.  

Here is the final product. The trombone was sent out to the silver plater after it was assembled.


No comments:

Post a Comment