Monday, October 1, 2012

So, I left off with a clean, padded, corked clarinet. All that was left was replacing tenon corks and play testing.

Since the tenons were all ready clean all I had to do was throw some new ones on it. Except, I ran into an issue. The bell tenon was too tight and was holding the bell even without a cork.




I remedied this by removing material from the bell. However, before I could do this I had to modify a tool. My solder scrapper needed to be razor sharp in order to cleanly shave material from the bell. So, I began to hone it. I progressed through a few grits of diamond and stone hones until I had a near mirror finish and an edge that you could only see and appreciate via a 10x eye piece.
 Here are some pictures of the before and after.



Okay. Now I scraped out some material from the bell and cleaned up the scratch marks from the scraper with some 1200 grit and some buffing compound. Everything fits together nicely with no binds. Time for tenon corks.

The first step in doing a tenon cork is determining the correct thickness of cork to use. Generally it's a 1/16''. However, it can very so it's always good to check. After it is determined  simply cut the cork to width with a razor blade and a straight edge, bevel one end, lightly bevel the sides(if the cork is thick enough to be noticeable ) and apply contact cement to both the cork and the tenon. Once the glue has dried for at least 15 minutes apply the cork to the tenon.




Once the cork is all the way around the tenon, trim it off. Then sand it so it is even and the right diameter to fit into the socket. Then coat it with wax and apply a very sparing amount of cork grease.


At this point all I had left was reassembly and playtesting. I did find there to be a few stuffy notes. I fixed them(to the best of the instruments ability) by increasing venting. Some notes, mainly the g#/c#, just(pun intended) blew.

Here is the final product.

This project was a great time. It's amazing to me that this project took us all more than a week. Most shops and technicians can do repads in under 7 hours.

After the repad I began working on my school clarinet and learned some fun skills there. I will be sharing those shortly.



No comments:

Post a Comment